Thursday, February 6, 2014

Tutorial Flower Square V


As promised, I present to you the tutorial of the Black-White-Grey Flower Square. This is not my own pattern. It's quite a classic pattern and I really don't have a clue where it's from. It's old and been done many many times. But since lots of you requested a tutorial on this square, I decided to share it with you.

I used mercerized cotton, Phil Cotton 3 and Catania. And I used a 3,5 hook, but I crochet very tight and most of you I would recommend a 3 mm hook.

I use the American terminology.
Stitches:
Slip Stitch (ss)
Chain (ch)
Half Double Crochet (hdc)
Double Crochet (dc)


Start with a magic circle (or chain 3, join with ss). 
Round 1: Ch 2 (or 3 if you prefer), 11dc. 12 stitches in total, join with a ss.
Round 2: Change color. Start in between 2 of the dc's from the previous round, ch 2, 1 dc in the same space, 2dc in next space, all around, join with ss. 24 Stitches in total.



Round 3: Change color, I used a contrasting color here. Start in the space between 2 of the 2 dc's from the previous round (see picture above), ch 2, 2 dc in same space, 3 dc in next space, all around, join with ss. 36 stitches in total.
Round 4: Change color. Start in the space between 2 of the 3 dc's from the previous round (see picture above). ch 2, 2 hdc in same space, *3 dc in next space, ch 3, 3 dc in next space, 3 hdc in next space*, repeat *to* until you've created a square. Join with ss. 
It's important to know that in this square, the corners aren't formed in one space, but by the ch 3 in between two spaces. That's the big difference from a 'normal' granny square.


I ironed the squares so they would be easier to sew together. I would recommend to sew these squares together, rather then to crochet them together. I think it's much prettier. Just hold the fronts of the squares to each other and put you needle trough 2 opposite stitches (see picture above). Just proceed with the next 2 squares in the same way. Then sew the other side together and this is what you'll get!



I made my first digital chart with Crochet Charts. It's a very simple program and easy to learn. I know this one isn't flawless yet, but I'm learning. I'm definitely going to purchase this software (for now I used a trial version). I know I forgot the starting ch 2's and the ss's, but hey, this is my first try!!


To make a cushion out of two sides, just join the sides with single crochet all around. For the picot edging: start in any stitch, ch 3, double crochet in first chain from hook, skip 1 (or 2) stitch and join with a slip stitch. Super simple! And if you only skip one the only important thing is that you have an even number of stitches. In a square that's always the case...


Well, hope it's clear. Feel free to ask questions, preferably through email. Do put in a link of the project you have a question about. 

Have a meaningful thursday!

Follow on Bloglovin

18 comments:

  1. yep, dit is een leukerd ! Die oude patronen zijn toch vaak wel erg mooi. Ik vind regelmatig haakboekjes bij de kringloop met fijne patroontjes die ik natuurlijk allemaal moet uitproberen :-p
    Bij jou vind ik vooral die ene felle kleur die eruit springt super gevonden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful cushion and tutorial! Well done for your digital chart! That's so helpful! I love the idea of one of the squares being totally different to the others! It was helpful to hear what type of cotton yarn you used also with the size hook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Querida Jenne: ayer me encontré con tu blog, me gusta mucho la estética, el uso de los colores,la luminosidad y energía sin estridencia de tus trabajos y del blog en general. Super- femenino! Te deseo mucha suerte en tus proyectos, y comenzaré a seguirte. Un gran abrazo desde Buenos Aires. VERA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cushion, i love the unexpected pop of colour, and a great tutorial - thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just Perfect!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Regards from Portugal
    Carla Pereira

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. Thank you for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bedankt voor het patroontje :)
    Hij is heel mooi geworden bij jou!

    Fijne zondag x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'm going to have to try this one too :) I'm glad you posted your puffed flower square on Ravelry -- you have so many other squares I want to make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're very welcome everyone. All these nice comments makes it so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very beautiful. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oehhh! Heeeeeeel leuk :-)
    Bedankt!
    Liefs Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing. Simply beautiful! Love it
    Bryn

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the black and white! will be adding this to my to do list:) Thanks for the very detailed tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... 01 09 10