Friday, April 25, 2014

Mastering The Basics: Classic Granny Square Tutorial


Over the last few months I got a lot of questions about the pattern for my Granny Square Color Bomb Blankets. It's a classic granny square, and for those of you that aren't familiar with it yet, I made a small tutorial to show you how simple it is. This is the first pattern I've used ever when I started crochet. Have Fun!!


Stitches (US Terms):
Magic Circle: Mc
Chain: Ch
Double Crochet: Dc
Slip Stitch: Ss


Start with a magic Circle. use the pic's above, or use a Youtube video tutorial (I will have one available soon...) for instructions. I always start my projects with a Magic Circle since it looks so much better when you are finished. If you don't like the Magic Circle, just chain 3 and join with a ss.


Round 1: Chain 2, 2 dc into the ring, ch 2, 3 dc into the ring,*3 dc, ch 2 3dc into the ring*, Repeat *to* 2 more times, Join with a ss.




If you want to proceed in the same color, ss into the next dc from the previous round and ss around the ch 2 from the previous round (see pic's 8-12). Than you can start the next round. (If you change color, skip this part and just start in any ch 2 space).


Round 2: Ch 2, 2 dc, ch 2 3 dc into the ch 2 space of the previous round. *3 Dc, ch 2, 3 dc into the next ch 2 space.* Repeat *to* 2 times. Join with a ss. 
If you proceed in the same color, use the same way as in the round before to go to the next round. (See pic's 14-19).


Round 3: Ch 2, 2 dc, ch 2, 3dc into the ch 2 space of the previous round. 3 Dc into the next space, *3 dc, ch 2, 3dc into the next ch 2 space. 3 Dc into the next space*. Repeat *to* 2 times. Join with a ss.


You can make the square a big as you like by just repeating the steps. Just make sure you use each space between 2 3dc's from the previous round. Of course, you can also use several colors instead of 1. I really love this pattern, since it's so easy and it always looks so good! 


I will try to finish the Join-as-You-Go Tutorial next week, so you can really get going. 


I hope it's all clear. If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know!


Oh, and about the edging... I'm working on some Simple Edging Tutorials for you guys, but again, I need some time.


Have a nice weekend!

10 comments:

  1. HayHay!
    Heel erg bedankt voor deze duidelijke werkbeschrijving!
    We kunnen nu mooi aan de slag :-)
    Fijn Weekend!
    Liefs Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you so much for the tutorial--I would like to try this. One question: In my limited crochet experience, when making a magic loop it has 6 single crochets. Would round 1 be the first round after making the magic loop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial. I love your use of colour. Just because I'm nosey, do you block your work? Thank you, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome. Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH~~~Thank you so much:)
    I come from Taiwan~and I LOVE your blog~!!
    thank you for your share ❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. What size hook are you using? I love your blog <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been scouring your blog trying to figure out what brands of yarn you used for this? I would greatly appreciate it if you wouldn't mind sharing. I just love these colors, and your blog! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my left sidebar you will find a label YARN. There I tell you all about it! Have fun. And this and next week there will be special Color 'n Cream yarn Combo's available in my shop.

      Delete
    2. Perfect! Thank you so much!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... 01 09 10