Friday, October 18, 2013

Circle In Square Tutorial I


As promised... It's time for the Circle in Square Tutorial from one of my latest posts. So pull out your (scraps of) yarn and get to work!

I use US terms for my tutorials.

First choose your colors carefully. This always takes a lot of time with me. I make several samples before I choose my final colors. (That's why I have so much scraps...).

I also wanted to give you the tip of using washi tape around your finger, (I've said this before) to keep your skin from burning and the yarn from leaving a painful notch (not sure about this word, is slit better??) on your finger. It seems silly, and wasteful, but it's much smoother than bandaid and the yarn slides better, to my experience.


So to start your circle chain 4, join with a slip stitch.

Round 1: Ch 3, 15 double crochets (16 stitches in total), join with sl st.

Round 2: Add new color, ch 2, half double crochet in same stitch, than 2 hdc in each next stitch (32 stitches in total). Join with sl st.


Round 3: Add new color (I suggest to use a contrasting color). Ch 1, and single crochet in each next stitch. Instead of joining with a sl st I like tot use the method you see on the pic's. Most people use a darning needle, I do it with my crochet hook.  I only use this method on single crochets.


Round 4: Start anywhere you like, using a new color. ch 3, 3 dc. Than into the next stitch *2 trebbles, ch2, 2 tr (all into the same stitch), 1 dc into the next 7 stitches*, repeat * 2 times, until you have 4 corners,  1 dc into the next 3 stitches. Join with sl st.

Round 5: Add new color. Dc in every dc from the previous round and the first ch when at the corner. In the ch 2 spaces from the previous round, 1 dc, ch 3, 1 dc. It will be 14 dc's per side. Look closely to the pictures to see how to do the corners.


And that's that! Now you can join your squares in the way you prefer. These ones I've sewn together. Nowadays I would join them with single crochet, but since this was an 'oldie', I did it with a darning needle.

Hope it's clear. If you have any questions, let me know. Some of you already did, but I want to point out that questions are sometimes easier answered if you email me. Feel free to do so.

There will be more circle in square tutorials (since I love them very much).

Have an exciting weekend!

PS. I'm on Bloglovin' now too! You can check it out here, or click the picture in the sidebar.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tutorial! Cannot wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love circles in squares crochet Jenn. I'm sure this tutorial will be very useful to many readers. Thank you for taking the time to put it all together, and for the tip about using washi tape. Inspired! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baie dankie Jenn, dit is 'n pragtige patroon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely!
    Liefs Danielle
    divadaan.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pattern and gorgeous colours as always! Thank you! Have a lovely weekend! Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can tell you that I love when I open my mail box to see that there is a post from you and specially today because there is a Tuto for the WE !!!! Thank you so much !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so very welcome! I love to make them for you guys. It's lovely to hear it pleases you all. I'm totally looking forward to making my a new circle in square tut, but first I have an edging I need to work out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Thanks for this tutorial! It's exactly what I needed! :) By the way love your blog! Very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for another great tutorial. You have excellent ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. kan man ikke udskrive en opskrift

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... 01 09 10